[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Mail Clients

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 21:02:10 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:34:34 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
> KMail or Kontact since they are both the same e-mail client even if one has
> more apps integrated, Its fast, light and everything in KDE is so well
> integrated and professional looking. I like all the usual KDE apps, KMail,
> Konqueror, KWrite, KOffice etc... its better then Gnome, its better then
> Windows and its better then what I've seen of Mac OS X although I have to
> admit I've never used Mac OS X. I'm a long standing KDE fan and will always

Well, if you have never used Mac OS, I'd advise giving it a shot
before you decide against it.  I know that it took a little while to
adjust to some of the keyboard shortcuts (I still use all of Linux,
Mac OS X, and Win XP on a regular basis so I still occasionally get
confused), and managing the system is a little bit different.  I like
my Mac, although I do admit that it has its share of failings.  In
general, it works quite well in "typical user mode", although I
wouldn't mind a little more flexibility at times.

What thing that I did like about Apple's Mail app was it's 'delete
from server after X days' option for POP3 accounts.  I like to keep a
few weeks worth of mail stored on the server, but I've had some
problems finding mail clients with any option between the extremes of
either leaving everything or deleting everything (either that or the
option is well hidden).  Can anyone reccomend a mail client with such
a feature?

> There's a reason why apple is porting KHTML over to Mac OS X and why there are
> others (not sure if they're apple or not) porting KOffice and KMail/Kontact
> to Mac OS X, its because Qt is an excellend product and all the KDE
> components are excellent.

Well, honestly, when running Safari (Apple's browser based on KHTML),
I run into the most rendering problems of all the browsers that I have
installed on the system.

And as far as KDE is concerned, I don't think that I'll be using it
(to any significant extent) until it's available for Windows - at
least to the extent of allowing non-commercial software apps.  From
what I understand, even the version of QT3 for Windows available in
the back of a fairly recent book on the topic, doesn't allow for
distribution of even non-commercial apps created.

David