[CS-FSLUG] MEDIA: Missing the Point

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Oct 25 17:33:53 CDT 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 15:31, Tim Young wrote:
> Now, should I then give my missionaries software that I know will
> render the majority of their laptops inoperable for them, or give
> them something they can use, even if it is a Microsoft product?

You won't get an argument from me; I'm too much of a pragmatist. I use
FreeBSD because it works like I do, and I have the time and inclination
to learn it. I recommend Linux in general to most folks, but I never
tell someone they have to drop Windows if that's what they really need.
The training service I offer includes learning how to survive using
Windows, including backups and re-installing, etc. As it is, our
church's computer runs Win98 and Office97, which came bundled on the
machine (an ancient Compaq). I have no inclination to change it
primarily because it isn't networked in any way. It's safe and works
fine, and the solid hardware never crashes under Windows.

I would use MS-DOS if I had to, just like the writer of the article, but
I can't accept his attitude. He's in love with big business, aspires
still to being a big-shot salesman, and preaches a peculiar version of
the Prosperity Gospel. He is *so sure* he has all the answers to what
makes something a commercial success.

OTOH, I suppose rabid Linux partisans are no help.

--
Ed Hurst