[CS-FSLUG] MEDIA: Missing the Point

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Oct 25 15:31:10 CDT 2004

(HUGE grin) I usually stay out of such discussions but I could not help
myself.  As a missionary, I can tell you that there are times when one must use
Microsoft.  There are sometimes no other alternatives.  Until folks who
actually know how to maintain a Linux box start making regular trips to the
field to maintain laptops, most of the field-based missionaries must use
Windows.  Their Windows boxes can be locally maintained, while Linux boxes must
be shipped back to the States.  And even then, sometimes it takes a long time
to find someone to get it straightened out.  Few missions IT folks have had the
luxury of Linux training, and do not have the time to play around with Linux
even to get familiar with it on their own.

While Linux on the desktop for missionaries seems like a good idea, it has only
had marginal success.  Most of the time it has been a huge failure.

Now, should I then give my missionaries software that I know will render the
majority of their laptops inoperable for them, or give them something they can
use, even if it is a Microsoft product?

- - -

You might not know this from reading this, but I am a proponent of Linux.  I
actually teach Linux to missionaries and missionary sending agencies.  I would
love it if Linux got to the point where it worked on the mission-field, but
currently it is not there.  And until that time, missionaries must either live
in both the Linux and Microsoft world, or just the Microsoft one.

Saying that '"Moralists" CAN'T support MickySoft' is either slapping most of
the missions world in the face, or needs some explanation as to what you mean
by "support."  If recommending all your folks use Microsoft is supporting them,
then most of our missions force cannot be termed "moralists."  That means that
most of the folks that the world-at-large sees are giving a bad impression of
Christianity.

Either,
1) Your statement needs revision / clarification
2) Your statement is wrong
3) Your statement is right and
3a) you should be doing a lot more about it.
3b) you are doing a lot about it and I don't know what you are doing.

	- Tim Young