[CS-FSLUG] Distro flame

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 21 23:02:55 CDT 2004

On October 21, 2004 06:54 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:02:29 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
> > On October 21, 2004 12:09 am, Chris Brault wrote:
> > > Hmmmm ...

> > > I guess that leaves Fedora Core 3 on top yet again.
> >
> > I love the optimism there, its encouraging to see that someone likes
> > their favourite distribution enough to jump in like that and say its #1
> > because I forgot to say anything about it. Chris (or do you preffer
> > Groundhog?), if I don't find a KDE based distribution I may very well
> > install FC3 and XFCE myself just to see what they could have done to get
> > you to like it so much, I may even find it to be a great GTK/Gnome
> > distribution myself :-) .
>
> But I thought you were after the QT toolkit - not GTK???  Or do you
> really know for sure?

I'm probably never going to switch away from Qt as long as I can afford to use
it, right now I've got a free edition for use in Windows but when I update my
Linux distribution to anything with a version of Qt newer then 3.2.x then I
won't be able to work on my programs in Linux and have them compile in
Windows. As far as GTK goes thats only claimed to be portable, in Windows you
have to go to much more trouble to distribute a GTK app then you would
distributing a Qt app in Windows and WxWidgets and FOX didn't have any books
(for that matter neither did GTK).

> I must say, while I had tinkered with Red Hat
> 5.2/7.2 and Mandrake 8.0 (and like it very much), it was SUSE that
> finally brought me into full-time use.  The thing I like about
> Mandrake is that their setup (at least, in the past) offered a choice
> between workstation and server setups.  I just thought that was very
> well planned.

The earlier versions seemed to have a lot more redeaming qualities then the
newers ones, I had no major complaints about Mandrake 9.1 that would have
stopped me from using the distribution but now I'm not too pleased with the
latest versions of any of the distributions I used to be comfortable with.