[CS-FSLUG] Slackware

Jerry Van Brimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Thu Oct 21 17:27:12 CDT 2004

Hi Nate,
As you may know, I've been happily using Slackware for about two years
now. The thing I like about Salckware is that *I* have total control
over the system. While I don't claim to be an expert, I'll be glad to
help you all I can to get your system up and running. One of the
greatest sources for help with Salckware is at LinuxQuestions.org. They
have a forum completely dedicated to Slackware. It's here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
There's also one dedicated to Slackware installation issues.

N. Thompson wrote:
> I've got a long weekend comming up and I'm probably going to take that time to
> switch over to Slackware and get a usable system going, Mandrake and SUSE may
> have nice shiny graphical configuration tools that require the world's most
> powerful supercomputers all running in a cluster in order to run without
> causing my music to skip but I don't have the control I want. I have to put
> up with OpenOffice the way they like it, I have to put up with little control
> over the packages I use because Mandrake doesn't want me to have X11 without
> a pretty load bar during the boot process and because SUSE likes to be a
> little more commercial then Mandrake and as such has a shortage of user
> contributed RPMs and worse performance then Mandrake.
>
> I'm going to need some help of course since this is going to take some
> adjusting to, first off I'm going to be using KDE and I'm going to want all
> the developer tools I may need to compile my own Qt apps and lots of nice KDE
> goodies, I'm also going to need very little networking software aside from
> maybe NFS and SMB, the KDE public file server applet and what I need for
> DHCP.

I don't do any developing, but I think all you need will be
preinstalled, If you do a complete install.

> Basically I just want to hear any tips for the setup process and then I want
> to know how to remove unwanted software, find software and updates and
> install them easily. Then I want to know how to make my system secure by
> setting up a firewall, preferably graphically and with significant ease and
> from there I'll try to figure things out myself or go to the list for help.

The best tip I can give you is LinuxQuestion.org. Other than that, I'll
do my best.

> One more thing, the command to create users didn't work for me last time in
> Slackawre, is it addusr?

The command to use is "adduser".

> BTW. I have two network interfaces, eth0 is a 3com somethingarather and eth1
> is an RTL-8139 compatible thingamajig, I want to use the RTL-8139 thingamajig
> and have the 3com somethingarather unused since its not hooked up to anything
> and usually greatly slows down the boot process while it tries to get an IP
> address, if someone could tell me how this is done and perhaps even tell me
> about some of the configuration tools I might expect to find in Slackware I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nathan.

Good luck, and God bless!