[CS-FSLUG] Slackware

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Wed Oct 20 17:24:25 CDT 2004

I've got a long weekend comming up and I'm probably going to take that time to
switch over to Slackware and get a usable system going, Mandrake and SUSE may
have nice shiny graphical configuration tools that require the world's most
powerful supercomputers all running in a cluster in order to run without
causing my music to skip but I don't have the control I want. I have to put
up with OpenOffice the way they like it, I have to put up with little control
over the packages I use because Mandrake doesn't want me to have X11 without
a pretty load bar during the boot process and because SUSE likes to be a
little more commercial then Mandrake and as such has a shortage of user
contributed RPMs and worse performance then Mandrake.

I'm going to need some help of course since this is going to take some
adjusting to, first off I'm going to be using KDE and I'm going to want all
the developer tools I may need to compile my own Qt apps and lots of nice KDE
goodies, I'm also going to need very little networking software aside from
maybe NFS and SMB, the KDE public file server applet and what I need for
DHCP.

Basically I just want to hear any tips for the setup process and then I want
to know how to remove unwanted software, find software and updates and
install them easily. Then I want to know how to make my system secure by
setting up a firewall, preferably graphically and with significant ease and
from there I'll try to figure things out myself or go to the list for help.

One more thing, the command to create users didn't work for me last time in
Slackawre, is it addusr?

BTW. I have two network interfaces, eth0 is a 3com somethingarather and eth1
is an RTL-8139 compatible thingamajig, I want to use the RTL-8139 thingamajig
and have the 3com somethingarather unused since its not hooked up to anything
and usually greatly slows down the boot process while it tries to get an IP
address, if someone could tell me how this is done and perhaps even tell me
about some of the configuration tools I might expect to find in Slackware I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks.

Nathan.