[CS-FSLUG] Distro flame

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 19 22:29:59 CDT 2004

Time to start another distro flame, Mandrake is making me a little mad and I'm
looking at alternatives.

This time Mandrake is going behind my back and changing the file associations
I set in KDE, the tool for setting them is a real pain to use so obviously it
doesn't please me very much when this happens. I only wish I had kept a list
of the reasons I left SUSE so I wouldn't have forgotten why I'm not going to
give 9.1 professional another try.

What seems to be the biggest problem for me is when it comes to distributions
is that I want something that will take care of anything requiring a console
for me but when it comes to X11 and KDE I want full control from then on.

I believe Ark Linux was fairly nice if my memory serves but as has been the
case for a long time they are still alpha software *and* are far behind of
just about all other distributions when it comes to hvaing updated software.

Aside from going back to Windows for a few months and then checking out what
has happend to the distributions then I don't know what else to do, I'd like
to try more distributions but a lot of the commercial ones I've wanted to try
will have a lot of the features disabled so I will not be able to get a good
feel for the distribution. I've considered switching to Gnome to see if that
would improve things but as a developer who finds Qt so much better then GTK
and finds KDE so much more professional feeling compared to Gnome I think I'd
rather go back to Windows where I can still use Qt without my program looking
really out of place.

I could probably stick with Mandrake for a while but I'd like to hear what
other distributions I could switch to, if I could afford more CD's right now
I'd probably give FC 3, Libranet and a few of the new distributions a try.

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to get a Mac but since right now I'm
a little short of enough just to get CD's  a Mac is probbaly out of the
question ;-) .

Oh, almost forgot to kick off the distro flame war, remember everyone this is
all in good fun. Mandrake was coded by frogs, SUSE by lizards, Slackware and
Gentoo by people who love self inflicted pain and Gnome by monkeys :-) .