[CS-FSLUG] SUSE Question

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Sun Oct 10 23:14:18 CDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 06:26, Bradly McConnell wrote:
> Good day all,
> Ok, for you SUSE types out there, I have a question.  I received the
> Linux Technical Resource Kit from Novell the other day, so I decided
> to try SUSE.  Everything is going fairly well, except YaST is broken.
> I went through, did most of the updates on the system, and voila -
> YaST2 will not run any of the modules - YOU, Change Source of Update,
> etc. no longer work.  I get the password prompt, and it acts like it
> will load, and then just drops off.  Similar results running it from a
> shell.  If I try to run an individual module from the shell, there is
> no response.  It just sits there, no errors or anything.  I've googled
> around, saw a site that recommended loading yast from the RPMs from
> SUSE's FTP, but that still didn't work.  I don't really want to scrub
> the install unless I have to.  Does anyone have any ideas, or has
> anyone seen this before?
> Thanks in advance.
> Brad

I am not yet very skilled with troubleshooting, but here are some questions
what may help us to tinker with this:
1. There were more than one version of Suse in Novell's Resource Kit. What
version you installed?
2. Were there any problems during installation?
3. Have you tried to run Yast2/YOU from the commanline (it may give you some
error-messages why they crash)?

Blessings,
Jukka