[CS-FSLUG] SUSE Question

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Oct 10 22:34:01 CDT 2004

On Sunday October 10 2004 11:26 pm, Bradly McConnell wrote:
> Good day all,
> Ok, for you SUSE types out there, I have a question.  I received the
> Linux Technical Resource Kit from Novell the other day, so I decided
> to try SUSE.  Everything is going fairly well, except YaST is broken.

No, Yast most likely isn't broken, but you may have some odd-ball hardware.

> I went through, did most of the updates on the system, and voila -
> YaST2 will not run any of the modules - YOU, Change Source of Update,
> etc. no longer work.  I get the password prompt, and it acts like it
> will load, and then just drops off.  Similar results running it from a
> shell.  If I try to run an individual module from the shell, there is
> no response.  It just sits there, no errors or anything.  I've googled
> around, saw a site that recommended loading yast from the RPMs from
> SUSE's FTP, but that still didn't work.  I don't really want to scrub
> the install unless I have to.  Does anyone have any ideas, or has
> anyone seen this before?

ONLY where an update wasn't done correctly.......something is missing or the
wrong version of "something" is installed. You may have to start over. Make
CERTAIN you don't leave out any files when updating.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."