[CS-FSLUG] GOOD NEWS! Howard Stern Driven Off the Public Airwaves

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 9 22:06:41 CDT 2004

PTC Racks Up Another Victory!

Howard Stern Driven Off the Public Airwaves

Dear Friend of the PTC:

 What a week it's been... We have more good news to report to you. Howard
Stern has been driven off of the public airwaves - and it's thanks to your
efforts and activism!

 Throughout the year, the PTC has been putting pressure on the FCC to better
enforce broadcast decency laws. As a direct result of that pressure, the FCC
has slapped shock jock Howard Stern with fine after fine for repeatedly
violating those laws.

 Today Stern announced that he will move his morning radio show to Sirius
satellite radio - a subscription satellite radio service -- in 15 months.

 Stern's show was dropped by six stations owned by Clear Channel in April.
Clear Channel later agreed to pay the FCC $1.75m, admitting Stern's show had
breached indecency laws. Infinity (Stern's current employer which is owned by
Viacom) has paid $1.7m for indecency violations committed during Stern's
broadcasts.

 Stern claims that by making the move, he will no longer be subject to
broadcast decency laws. The real victors are the millions and millions of
American families who will no longer be subjected to Stern's pornographic
ranting during their morning drive time.

 As you can see, we've racked-up some major victories this week. With your
continued help and support we'll see even greater success in the weeks ahead.

 With deepest gratitude for your continued support,

Tim Winter
 Executive Director
 Parents Television Council

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."