[CS-FSLUG] Adopt a program

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 7 20:29:33 CDT 2004

I'm wondering if anyone here would like to take over development of Gned
since I'm no longer interested in using Java as one of my main
programming languages at the time, its fairly simple and straightforward
and I personally think I did a good job keeping the code nearly
organized and clean.

I had lots of fun actually working on the program, I learned a lot from
debugging it and in the end I think it turned out to be a fairly decent
little editor even if there it doesn't have as many features as most
editors and even lacks some Windows Notepad has. I would like to see
someone decide they want to continue working on the program even if its
just for experimentation or, like myself at the time I wrote it, to get
better with Java. If someone more experienced or more motivated then
myself were to give it a try they could probably add syntax highlighting
and give the editor a real fighting chance at least as far as simple
Windows editors go. I'd be more then happy to continue contributing code
for the editor from time to time over the next few months or perhaps
even years depending on how long I can remember Java for :-) but I don't
have time to make it one of my main applications now that I'm moving on
to other programming languages.

Let me know if you are interested, I'll send you a copy of all the
versions of Gned that I still have going as far back as before 1.0 if I
didn't lose any more versions of it, in one of them a major chunk of the
files were gone so I backported them from the next version up, this may
cause some inconsistency but that was with with one of the 1.2.x
versions so it shouldn't matter much anyway. I also had a list of bugs
found in each version and I'd be glad to include if it I still have it
along with freshly made JavaDocs for version 1.4.1 available on request.

If anyone here is interested you can either reply to me on the list or
e-mail me personally if you prefer.