[CS-FSLUG] Canadian bank, intimidation?

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Oct 5 21:45:43 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:42:15PM -0400, Fred Miller wrote:
> On Monday October 4 2004 5:41 am, Don Parris wrote:
> > I certainly think we as Christians should make clear the distinction
> > between a differing viewpoint and homophobia.  For instance, should I
>
> [snip]
>
> The legal definition of "homophobia," is to have a fear of homosexuality or
> homosexuals. I don't know of one Christian who fears either. 'Must understand
> that the term "homophobia" is one used freely and "liberally" by the left
> because it has a negative connotation. It's the liberal's mentality to NOT
> want to deal with the truth - especially God's word concerning any issue and
> HONESTLY debate a Christian/conservative, but to just call us names. I've
> seen the same garbage come from some in the Episcopal church, Unitarian (of
> course), and a few others here and there.

Look at the following result from dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homophobia

All three definitions on this page, which come from reputable dictionaries (
Miram-Webster Medical Dictionary, and others ), indicate that "homophobia"
involves contempt, aversion, or dislike of gays and lesbians, and two of three
indicate that it includes a behavioral component.  While fear is mentioned, it
appears to be optional.  I'll grant you that the root phobe would seem to
require fear, but it appears that in fact, the term is more inclusive then
that.  Of course, one could read it to mean that homophobia is the fear of
anything like the one doing fearing, but no one has had any difficulty
recognizing that that's not what the homo indicates.  I suppose that they used
the term homophobia because they wanted people to think it was a subcategory of
xenophobia...  which is pretty similar.

Aaron Lehmann

> Fred
>
> --
> "Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
> able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."

Sometimes you stay the course;
Sometimes the course stays you.