[CS-FSLUG] Need recomendations for Domain and Web Site Hosting

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Nov 30 15:56:55 CST 2004

Thanks everyone for your kind recommendations of my services. :-)

Regarding domains, I can vouch for Dotster's service... I like them a
lot and their admin interface is nice. If you are going for the el
cheapo side though, 1&1 is the cheapest at that I know of at just
$5.95/yr. I registered a few domains with them... their site is slow
but once the domains are registered, of course, everything works the
same.

I suspect they price the domains so cheap in hopes that people will use
their mass-marketed hosting services.

	-Tim

On Nov 30, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Ed Hurst wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Eduardo Sanchez wrote:
>
>> David and Tim offer excellent hosting packages. Both have my warmest
>> recommendation.
>
> I agree with Eduardo. I use Tim's service and recommend it heartily,
> as it's quite affordable on my low income. However, there are limits...
>
>> Now, about the embedded wav files: You're looking for trouble with
>> that.
>> I would suggest you to encode the wavs to either mp3 or ogg.
>>
>> Moreover, and since this is going to be online, I would recommend
>> variable bitrate, minimum 96, maximum 160 kbps in either format. Ogg
>> seems to work better, especially at lower bitrates. You'll get a
>> tenfold (or more) reduction in size at no appreciable quality loss.
>
> I would further recommend not playing the entire hymn, but perhaps the
> one seminal verse or even just the chorus. As it is, with a dialup
> connection I don't enable sound in my browser. If it takes more than 2
> minutes to load a page, I tend to move on. As long as sound file links
> are voluntary -- not loaded automatically -- I am more likely to see
> what you have to say.
>
> There is much we *could* do on the Net, but that is often far more than
> we *should* do.
>
> Ed Hurst
> -----------
> A Bible Site -- http://webs.tconline.net/softedges/
> Linux & Unix Help -- http://ed.asisaid.com/
> Blog -- http://ed.asisaid.com/blog/
> ---

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |