[CS-FSLUG] Corporate Greed (was: Biblical anti-MS, pro Free Software arguments)

groundhog3000 groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 17:22:01 CST 2004

Interesting,

>I see the day coming SOON that M$ WILL play a promanant position as a tool of
>the Anti-Christ, IF we don't take action NOW!
>
>Best,
>
>Fred

Sounds like coast to coast AM in here.
You know, my father has been in the corporate communications world
for 25 years.  He has worked with nearly a hundred national and
international corporations, consulted by CIO's, the IT guys and CEO's
of every type.  He is currently self-employed and handling billing for
large corporations IT and communications expenses.

That said, while I was talking with him recently, he let me in on
this little tid bit.  He told me that one very obvious thing rules
most national and international corporations ... money.  Stockholders
and banks must be satisfied to stay in business.  There's always another
place to cut, another wage to shrink or divide between two part timers,
another set of benefits to deny, anything to make the shareholders
happy (read: wealthier). His opinion after 25 years of global hobnobbing ...
Most corporate heads are as corrupt as they come, and, if caught,
most would likely be sent to prison.

In that light, Mr. Gates is simply a part of the elite club with one major
exception .... he didn't know when to say when.  He attempted to take over
the world by hook or by crook (he choose the latter).

When Bill Gates gave so many million to the AIDS charities of Africa, do
you think it was because he was really concerned ... hmmmmm?  Or perhaps
it was because he has to pay a certain amount in charity each year for
tax purposes (fortunately, the American system rewards those corps and
the ultra rich who give to charities).  Bill decided he could toot his
own horn
by jumping on a popular band wagon (good PR move no doubt).  Most
private individuals create their own charities, give their donations to
their
own charities, write them off of their own taxes then pay themselves a
tax free salary as head of their own charity.  Yeah ... how generous.

Take Walmart.  When Sam Walton lived, Walmart's shelves were stocked
proudly with American goods, charities welcomed the arrival of such a
large giver and the employees always got a good share of the stock.
When he died (if alive he would be 3 times richer than Bill Gates), his
children, who were raised in the corporate environment of shareholders
and an unlimited flow of cash, decided to part with the archaic ways of
their
father and really get the revenue flowing. How?  By exploiting the poor,
third
world laborers (especially in China) like K-Mart.

Now, when Walmart comes to town, it sells cheap Chinese plastic and pot
metal
goods, undercutting all the local competition and selling american jobs
overseas.
Who would be proud of that?

Bill Gates and his corporate empire, which he left the CEO-ship of
simply as a
measure to retain control of all the pieces should M$ be divided by the
government,
are simply a member or the money club.  You have to understand, there people
only hang out with eachother and other ultra-rich people.  That is their
entire
ring of people.  Sam Walton wasn't born into an ultra rich family and so his
moral character was shaped by patriotism and hard work, while his children
were not.  Let's face it folks, Gates has no moral compass at all, and
there is
no peer pressure at the exclusive country clubs, 4 star restaurants or
in the
presidential suite to make his change.

What is it like to be deceived like them?   Let me sum it up with this
conversation:
While in San Antonio, working for $10.00/hr doing secretarial and patent
work,
my boss, who ears $250,000/yr working 4 hours a day 4 days a week, says
to me:
"You'd be surprised how hard it is to live off of $100,000 a year."
I responded, "Yeah, I probably would be ..."

Gabe Ginorio