[CS-FSLUG] Alternate Media Player

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Nov 26 00:14:07 CST 2004

Ed Hurst wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>

>>>Need: I find I am frustrated by aRTs. I know that KDE 3.x will use
>>>other sound servers, because I've tried it. I used 'esdplay' for a
>>>time, but can't get it to play Ogg files. I really like the new KDE
>>>Ogg-based sound themes. Is there another sound server that will work
>>>with KDE and play Ogg files?
>>>

>>Ed, before you do that, make sure you are a "member" of the "audio"
>>group.
>>

>That hasn't been an issue on FreeBSD so far. My complaint with esound
>is that it doesn't recognize Ogg files. My complaint with aRTs is that
>the volume is erratic, and many sounds are delayed a bit behind the
>associated event.
>
>So, is there an audio server along the lines of aRTs and esound that
>will play Ogg files, along with the other standard formats?

If you think _that's_ /fun/ then try using Ark Linux, there I've
experienced a /feature/ I've never encountered anywhere else before, one
program will use the sound and block everything else from using it, then
when the resource is release all at once all the other sounds play as
one with an unimaginable volume; you get to decide which is more /fun/,
ripping your headphones off along with half your scalp or blowing out
your ear drums, you can do both as long as you're careful not to /enjoy/
it too much ;-) .

Try comparing your configuration to a Mandrake setup, MDK usually seems
to get sound in KDE working nicely.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/