[CS-FSLUG] Alternate Media Player

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Nov 25 13:59:01 CST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> > Need: I find I am frustrated by aRTs. I know that KDE 3.x will use
> > other sound servers, because I've tried it. I used 'esdplay' for a
> > time, but can't get it to play Ogg files. I really like the new KDE
> > Ogg-based sound themes. Is there another sound server that will work
> > with KDE and play Ogg files?
>
> Ed, before you do that, make sure you are a "member" of the "audio"
> group.

That hasn't been an issue on FreeBSD so far. My complaint with esound
is that it doesn't recognize Ogg files. My complaint with aRTs is that
the volume is erratic, and many sounds are delayed a bit behind the
associated event.

So, is there an audio server along the lines of aRTs and esound that
will play Ogg files, along with the other standard formats?

Ed Hurst
A Bible Site -- http://webs.tconline.net/softedges/
Linux & Unix Help -- http://ed.asisaid.com/
Blog -- http://ed.asisaid.com/blog/