[CS-FSLUG] Digital recording

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 24 22:11:57 CST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:38:48PM -0500, Robert W. wrote:
> Our church is wanting to digitally record services to MP3 files. It's a
> bit of a pain to copy tapes, since we don't have a duplicator.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on inexpensive equipment? Web sites I
> might look at for information or products?
>
> I did a quick Google and found lots of recorders with mixer functions.
> We already have a mixer. I'm also looking at building a PC or laptop
> that can record sound. But was hoping I might find a pre-built product.

Our church has been wanting to do this for quite a while and now we are
going to get our chance.  We recently had a large donation given to us
in order to upgrade our sound system.  We got all kinds of new gadgets,
one being the Marantz CDR510 CD Player and CD Recorder
(http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1810).  This thing is
great, you hook it up to your sound system and can play CDs and record
to a CD simultaneously.  We can now record a sermon straight to CD, take
it home, edit it down, encode to mp3 (and hopefully ogg if I get my way
;-) and pop it up on the web server.  Done.

Of course, since this is a black box setup it is going to cost more than
a PC with a soundcard hooked up to your sound console.  I did a very
quick google and saw two completely different prices, one for $750 and
another for $950.  Not sure what we paid for ours and I imagine price
might vary by location.  Might be something to look into.

Brian
(sound guy and sys admin guy for my church)  :-)

--
The just man walketh in his integrity:
his children are blessed after him.  -- Proverbs 20:7