[CS-FSLUG] Upgrading Mandrake

David david at davidcentral.net
Mon Nov 22 19:28:26 CST 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 07:12 pm, N. Thompson wrote:
> On November 22, 2004 05:33 pm, Bradly McConnell wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:14:58 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net>
wrote:
> > > I'm asking since I'd rather find a shortcut around having to install
> > > every new release from scratch, surely if Windows can do it properly
> > > then most Linux distributions should also be able to.
> >
> > Not all that sucessful.  Even the official curriculum distributed by
> > Microsoft recommends performing a full install over a upgrade.
> >
> > > I've been thinking about getting a copy of
> > > the powerpack edition of Mandrake 10.1 or whichever version is current
> > > when I finally get around to it, as many of you remember I was also on
> > > the verge of getting Mandrake Linux when I first tried 9.1.
> >
> > Why pay all that money to "try" it out?  The download version should
> > be available by now for the latest (haven't checked myself).  If you
> > don't have the bandwidth, go with some of the cheaper CD distributors.
> >  With the trial and error nature of your posts, I would recommend
> > sticking with the freely available distros, or it will get costly.  I
> > would recommend picking a distro and tailoring it to what you want.
> > It may involve a bit of pain, but that's the beauty of open source -
> > if you don't like it - you can change it.
> >
> > Brad
>
> I've been using the free download versions (except 9.2) since I first got
> Mandrake 8.2, I've used several other distributions and considered buying a
> boxed set of Mandrake Linux a few times before, then changed my mind and
> didn't do so but Mandrake 9.1 was good as was 10.0 so I'm considering
> getting the 10.1 PowerPack edition once I have a chance to try out the
> latest from Mandrake without having to pay a heavy price. If there is one
> thing I'll do my best to avoid its paying for something I haven't first had
> the chance  to evaluate.

I installed 10.1 community 4 days ago on a test partition. I have to say it's
really swell. plenty of bug fixes, works great for me and I have no
complaints whatsoever.

Since I am not the type that likes to wait, I will be replacing 10.0 with 10.1
community until the official comes out for download.

As for upgrades, I never upgrade. I just back up my configuration files and
things I want to keep, then do a complete fresh install and then put my
configuration files back. It feels like a fresh shower ever 6 months.. :-)

overall it takes about 5 extra minutes to put your config files and backed up
files back after a fresh install, so why not go for the shower and shave
instead of the quick wash up? :-)

David M.