[CS-FSLUG] OS Grace Nearing Completion

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Nov 22 09:36:06 CST 2004

Looks good, Don.  It will be good to have an open-source proponent out there.
I am not sure who the target audience is (pastors, congregation, church
secretary, etc.) but there are a few aspects about FOSS that church
congregations usually have no clue about.  I am fully aware that this is my
soapbox, so feel free to ignore this if it does not fit into your model.  If
you like the idea, and it does fit a little, feel free to modify it as much as
you like.  I just typed it in, I did not fret over the wording, so it could use
some cleaning up.

     The Kingdom Impact of FOSS
     Not only does FOSS allow Christians to equip each other here in the
     USA, but good FOSS software gets designed so it can be translated to
     other languages.  As important as the cost is for us here in one of
     the richest countries of the world, it is more important in countries
     like India.  In many of these countries you can purchase hardware
     much cheaper than you can get it here in the USA, or get it donated,
     but software costs (upgrades, etc) are very costly.  FOSS is a very
     important way that we in the technological western world can help our
     brothers around the world.

     One of the benefits of contributing to Christian FOSS projects is
     that you may be empowering Christians around the globe with software
     that they could not otherwise afford.  We develop some very good
     software here in the US, and through places like CODN.net you can
     help churches, pastors, or missionaries in Africa.  It is yet another
     way for someone to whom much has been given, to help those who have
     little.

    - Tim Young