[CS-FSLUG] Short Survey - On-Line Banking w/ Free Software

Jerry VanBrimmer jerryvb at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 20:58:18 CST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 06:43:36PM -0500, Don Parris wrote:
> I'd like to know something about Linux users' experience with on-line
> banking.  I plan to talk with my bank (as an advocate) about the issue, so
> your input would be very helpful.
>
> (1) How much of a problem is on-line banking for users of free & open
> source software? (scale of 1-5, with 5 being worst case)

Scale = 1. I too use Wells Fargo, have been for about 8 years. *The* reason
I switched to Wells Fargo was because of the online banking. I use
Konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox and/or Opera to do my online banking. No
problems with any of these browsers.

> (2) What is the biggest problem you've experienced?

The only problem I've experienced is, one time a credit card company didn't
get their payment (I use the Wells Fargo online Bill Pay service.) I called
WF, they took it from there and the bill got paid.

> (3) Would you switch to a bank that opened its doors to free software users
> (i.e., compatibility with GnuCash, etc.)

No. That's not an issue for me, since I don't download my bank account data.
But, for budgeting I use Moneydance, and enter the data manually. I don't
download the data because 1) I don't trust the automatic downloading
process, 2) I don't like the way the automatic entries read.

> Don
> --
> DC Parris GNU Evangelist
> http://matheteuo.org/
> gnumathetes at gmail.com
> Free software is like God's love -
> you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!

The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
Linux User #153217..................http://counter.li.org