[CS-FSLUG] SUSE gets favourable review for use on Laptops

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:08:21 CST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:48:36 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
> Any news on whether SUSE 9.2 is going to have better performance?
>
> For me the performance in SUSE 9.1 was inexcusable, my music would skip
> if I did so much as start Konqueror, in any other distribution I could
> run konqueror, kmail, OpenOffice.org, the configuration software and be
> looking at a video or animation without my music skipping.

Are you talking about CD audio?  If so, then chances are the music and
video are using the same controller.  (i.e. Hard drive and CDROM on
the same channel of the IDE controller.)  Another issue is whether you
are using a CD audio cable from the drive to the soundcard, or if it
is being transferred via the digital path.  Those two things can make
the biggest difference if you have CD audio that "skips" or video
(movies, DVD) etc. that also skips.

Brad