[CS-FSLUG] Digital recording

@ndrew andrew at dothedrew.net
Sat Nov 13 10:37:29 CST 2004

Robert,

My church still records to tapes primarily, but when I want to record
digitally, I bring in my MP3 player. It's an "old" Archos 15GB Jukebox MP3
Recorder, has a line-in, and records direct to MP3s. Works great for what
it's doing. And in most cases, churches don't have top-of-the-line
equipment, so the quality lost by MP3 compression is negligable. Besides,
it's just talking. At our church, we're using a $50 FM wireless mic from
Radio Shack that picks up portable phones from across the street. Quality.
I'm not concerned about going straight to MP3.

Of course, that won't help you make copies at the church, but it's easy
enough to bring home, connect to a computer, and burn a CD. A computer
sitting at the church would work just as well, and it doesn't really need to
be anything special: just about any box with a sound-card and sufficient
storage space would work. And if it has a CDRW, then, voila, copies. That's
what I'm hoping to do for the long run, if I can wean our church off casette
tapes. Oh, and get a new mic.

--
@ndrew
andrew at dothedrew.net