[CS-FSLUG] Three OS's on one box

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:29:11 CST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:15:07 -0600, N. Thompson <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:
> I've never had much luck with this before but I'm considering seeing if
> I can run a third, light distribution along side Windows XP and Ark
> Linux. I'm interesting in something that would fit on one distribution,
> right now I'm thinking along the lines of Sam if the English translation
> has improved significantly and if there is an easy way to install it on
> the hard drive and an easy tool to resize Ext3 partitions with included
> on the CD.
>
> Anyone know whether this is possible, also I would like to keep it from
> installing its own boot loader since I've spent a long time trying to
> get Ark to work and I even had Bero ssh over to my computer to get one
> of my CD-Rom drives working, as I've said before Ark is not ready for
> serious use yet and since it took me so long to get it working well
> enough for me to get started on volunteer work I do not want to damage
> that in trying to stuff a third distro on my computer.
>
> BTW. I think Ark crams everything into one partition so I should have
> three on my HDD now, shouldn't I be able to create a fourth to locally
> install a distribution? In case Sam doesn't have a hard-disk
> installation program that will allow me to skip setting up a boot loader
> is there another light distribution that will allow me to do this,
> preferably one that either uses KDE, XFCE, IceWM or WindowMaker?
>
> Thanks.

I do know you can have up to 4 partitions on your drive, which means
you should be able to run Win, OS/2, and 2 Linux distros - or any
other combination of OSes that run on IA-86.  As for these Linux
distros, you're way ahead of me - haven't heard of either one!  I
think I'll create a new distro, and call it "Billy Bob". :)

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/