[CS-FSLUG] Distinguishing Between "Free" and "Open Source"

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Tue Nov 9 22:00:47 CST 2004

Hi Don,
> Thanks Tim.  That's a great article, by the way.

	Thanks!

> I also enjoyed
> several of those comments.  Has OSI stepped back toward the Free
> Software definition at all since then?  Just curious.

	Well, not really any more, but OSI continues to maintain that Open
Source is merely a marketing term for Free Software. I think the main
problem with the term Open Source is what other people have made of it
-- most people are surprised when I point out that the OSI definition
isn't that far way from the FSF's definition.

> I'm preparing some outreach material in the form of a web page.  If
> open source is really that far gone, I'm tempted to simply restrict my
> presentations to "free" software, with a mention of open source as a
> side note.

	Sounds like a good idea, IMO.

> It'll wind up on a CD, along with copies of my booklets
> and articles, and copies of free software projects pertaining to
> Christians.

	That sounds like a super idea!

> It won't contain a Linux distro, but will be more like a webified
> brochure, containing information and essential links.  The programs
> will be placed in folders for GNU/Linux, Mac, & Windows as
> appropriate.  Perhaps the guys and gals across the Christian free
> software community can look it over and provide some input.  I always
> need some editing before I release something. :)

	I'd love to see it. :-)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |