[CS-FSLUG] Distinguishing Between "Free" and "Open Source"

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 17:05:34 CST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:57:29 -0600, Timothy R. Butler
<tbutler at uninetsolutions.com> wrote:
> Here was what I wrote a few years back on the issue:
>
>         http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=110
>
> I'd recommend reading the first comment after the article as well -- it
> was written by our very own Eduardo Sanchez before he started writing
> for OfB... I think right before he joined ChristianSource as well.
>
>         Blessings,
>                         Tim

Thanks Tim.  That's a great article, by the way.  I also enjoyed
several of those comments.  Has OSI stepped back toward the Free
Software definition at all since then?  Just curious.

I'm preparing some outreach material in the form of a web page.  If
open source is really that far gone, I'm tempted to simply restrict my
presentations to "free" software, with a mention of open source as a
side note.  It'll wind up on a CD, along with copies of my booklets
and articles, and copies of free software projects pertaining to
Christians.

It won't contain a Linux distro, but will be more like a webified
brochure, containing information and essential links.  The programs
will be placed in folders for GNU/Linux, Mac, & Windows as
appropriate.  Perhaps the guys and gals across the Christian free
software community can look it over and provide some input.  I always
need some editing before I release something. :)

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com