[CS-FSLUG] NFS Scenarios

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Nov 7 15:09:21 CST 2004

Don,
I am not sure if there is a doc out there, but I can tell you how I handled it
when I ran a lab full of computers and 500+ users.

On the server we exported the entire /home directory to all the computers.
Then we served NIS off the server.  That is it.  All working.

What it does is this.  NIS exports all the usernames, passwords, directories,
groups, and UIDs.  All computers joined to the NIS domain authenticate with the
same username and password.  And they all get the same home directory path
given to each computer.  /home/username.  If the /home directory is exported,
then whenever anyone logs in, they get their files off the server.

This is the typical setup for NIS.  That and exporting /usr/local off the
server also.  Though on the newer redhats they have changed this to
/usr/share.  So any pakages you have on your domain that you want "installed"
across all your computers, you store on /usr/local/ (or /usr/share).  Now that
it is much easier with distributions to keep computes synchronized with the
packages you have installed, it is not quite as important to have the
/use/local or /usr/share directories exported.

Life gets a little more complex if you also have samba installed and are using
smb passwords.  There are a few good ways to do that one also.

Blessings,

	- Tim Young