[CS-FSLUG] NFS Scenarios

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Sun Nov 7 04:50:24 CST 2004

Don,

I don't know a thing about NFS (never ever used it) but perhaps this
might help you:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/node31.html.gz

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Saturday 06 November 2004 02:08, Don Parris wrote:
> Is there a doc anywhere that offers information on various ways to
> implement NFS?  I mean strategically speaking, as well as maybe even
> an example or two.  For example, I would like to allow users on a LAN
> to store their files on their computers, but public files in a public
> directory, stored on the file server.  Given this scenario, I would
> propose setting up thus:
>
> File Server: export /home/public with rw permissions
> Workstations: import srv://home/public, and mount as /home/public
>
> However, if I want to have everyone store all their files on the
> server, knowing that each user gets a home dir on their own box, how
> do I manage this?  I'm taking a wild guess here, but...
>
> I would have to add all users to the server, along with their
own /home/~user
> I would guess I need to use LDAP (rather than NIS), but how to
> configure the workstations so the users can actually login?  Obviously
> the LDAP client comes into play.  While I understand how to implement
> NFS in the first scenario, I would be lost trying to implement other
> scenarios.  If I'm not making any sense here, just let me know. :)
>
> I have twice asked this question (not in this way) elsewhere, without
> any responses - perhaps I was too vague.
>
> --
> DC Parris GNU Evangelist
> http://matheteuo.org/
> gnumathetes at gmail.com
> Free software is like God's love -
> you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 And strange to tell, among that Earthen Lot
 Some could articulate, while others not:
   And suddenly one more impatient cried--
 "Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam