[CS-FSLUG] NFS Scenarios

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 20:08:53 CST 2004

Is there a doc anywhere that offers information on various ways to
implement NFS?  I mean strategically speaking, as well as maybe even
an example or two.  For example, I would like to allow users on a LAN
to store their files on their computers, but public files in a public
directory, stored on the file server.  Given this scenario, I would
propose setting up thus:

File Server: export /home/public with rw permissions
Workstations: import srv://home/public, and mount as /home/public

However, if I want to have everyone store all their files on the
server, knowing that each user gets a home dir on their own box, how
do I manage this?  I'm taking a wild guess here, but...

I would have to add all users to the server, along with their own /home/~user
I would guess I need to use LDAP (rather than NIS), but how to
configure the workstations so the users can actually login?  Obviously
the LDAP client comes into play.  While I understand how to implement
NFS in the first scenario, I would be lost trying to implement other
scenarios.  If I'm not making any sense here, just let me know. :)

I have twice asked this question (not in this way) elsewhere, without
any responses - perhaps I was too vague.

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com