[CS-FSLUG] America & Iraq

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:44:10 CST 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:30:03 +0100, David Kemsley
<dkemsley at lism.catholic.edu.au> wrote:
> Dear Fred and other friends in Christ,
>
> Firstly I'd just like to say how excited I was when I found this User
> Group. I've been involved in other LUGs, each having a lot of Zeal for
> the free software world. But this is the first I've come across with
> members zealous for Christ and having an interest in Linux :D
>
> Secondly I'd like to say I don't normally get involved in political
> discussions. We all know this world is perishing which hopefully reminds
> us where we need to have our focus - eternity with Christ! :). And of
> course to see the urgency in letting people know of this great news.
> Having said that, I tend to find myself getting frustrated over justice
> in the world as I can see others do.
>
> Thirdly, and I fear I'll get flamed off for saying this, but I don't
> agree with most of the political stuff on this list. I'm against the war
> on Iraq and the motivation behind it. I'm against the way George Bush
> has used fear to drive a war which America needed to support itself
> financially. I'm against the way other countries (including my own -
> Australia) were dragged into a war which had nothing to do with them. I
> find it hard to believe the propaganda that Iraq were a terrorist
> threat, and that the war has now helped that (IMHO war only creates
> terrorists). I find it hard to believe that it was a justice war against
> an evil tyrant when it was America that put him in to power to begin with.
>
> Why am I saying all this? To point out that not everyone sees things the
> same way. I was disappointed to see all these political posts and have
> felt somewhat alien to this list because of that. Thankfully we do have
> things in common - Linux, and more importantly, our trust in Christ.
>
> Would it be possible to limit the political opinions. I know I'm new and
> I could always ignore them but I can see that if there's others who
> don't see eye-to-eye about politics they would feel out of place too.
> Perhaps another list for politics(?).
>
> Please let me know if I'm not welcome and I'll promptly remove myself
> from the list.
>
> David

Glad to have you aboard.  Just ignore it all.  I ignored several of
the "PD" threads, occasionally jumping in to say things like, "I do
wish we had better choices for candidates".  Anyway, You'll find a
number of the guys are very knowledgeable GNU gurus - and almost as
fanatical about GNU/Linux & BSD as they are about Christ.

I've not been around all that long myself, and only discovered it
after Tim's invitation (iirc).  The guys have helped me to understand
quite a few things, and I hope I'll grow up to know as much as they do
some day. :)  In the meanwhile I'll continue writing about what I do
know, and advocating free software in the Church.

God bless,
Don

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist