[CS-FSLUG] re-install/partitioning problem solved -email & multifunction scanner?

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Tue Nov 2 23:50:56 CST 2004

Eduardo Sanchez wrote:

>>However, it went into auto install, and did it without my help. - I
>>decided to give Mandrake it's head, and see how it had done it
>>afterwards. Sure enough when it was complete I was able to get into
>>Mandrake Control Center, and have a look at the partitioning.
>>

>Well, thankfully it did work out at last.

Yes, but now it looks like I'll have to make changes again! Long saga
shortened;
High Speed has come to our little one-horse town. It happens this 2nd
computer has an ethernet card already, but it has to have at least win98
for SaskTel's HS to work. Since I only have Mandrake there, I'm weighing
options. This morning this plan came to me in my devotional plan. Can
you tell me if it looks feasible?

1. check into High Speed costs/rules - I did today (self-install saves
$99 and .05/month off current dialup costs for 1 yr, then it goes up to
$45/mo.)
2. ask Microsoft permission to re-install Win98 on this 2nd computer
3. re-format the 10gb drive to give 5gb to a basic install and save 5gb
for other Linux OS.
4. install Win98
5.  soon as I can afford it have my 40 GB drive w/Mandrake put into 2nd
computer.
6.  transfer all my important docs from old 6.2 GB drive
7. get high speed connected.
8.  get multi-functional Scanner/etc. Should then work in Win or Linux.
9. use old computer for experimental Linux installs.

>went to go online though, I couldn't get connected. KPPP kept saying
>

> <>the modem does not respond.
>

>I think that you have a Winmodem, right? If that's the case, you will
>need to install a separate driver before doing getting online. I mean,
>most Linux distributions do not have these drivers on their CDs due to
>license restrictions.

No, there's a US Robotics modem and an ethernet in the 2nd computer!
Last November I joined the Linmodems group until we got that worked out.
My older computer does have a winmodem, and I ended up buying a driver
from Linuxant, but the prof from Israel pointed out that the modem in
this 2nd computer is compatible. It was a matter of finding the port and
telling it to ignore the ethernet card. I've since discovered that Sat.
I'd forgotten the phone cables.

> those from in Mandrake. I've seen Kmail and Evolution there, but will
>
>>have to hunt for these others.
>>
>>Mainly I'm looking for a quick efficient way to file both my outgoing
>>and incoming emails, the way I can in Pegasus. (Presently in Win98 I'm
>>also using Thunderbird, but find some aspects frustrating. Like right
>>now I can't type as fast as I'd like because the cursor seems slow,
>>

>and
>

>>the folder system is cumbersome.
>>

>I use KMail in Kontact (Kontact is a PIM similar to Evolution). It is
>simple enough to use, but as with all email clients, it needs extensive
>configuration and tweaking prior to use.

I was going to study and set those up this past Sat. but the day ran
away on me. I only got a few minutes at it, so it's still to come. But
if I can get the above agenda worked out, I should be able to focus on
it more.

> one of the Board members made a motion that they pay for me to get a
>
>>scanner. Someone else seconded it, and within moments, it was carried.
>>Before I left, the secretary handed me a signed blank cheque!
>>
>>Dave said he knew I would shop very carefully and frugally, and I was
>>touched that they would know that about me. :)
>>

>I'm not fully acquainted with scanning equipment, but I'll try to offer
>some pointers.
>
>Scanner support in Unix systems is done through the SANE (Scanner Access
>Now Easy) engine. There is a lot of scanners supported with it, and
>they're available here:
>
>http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

Say, that looks like a great site! Very helpful. Now I can check out
models online, and then check here first to make sure they're supported.

What about multifunctionals? ie. Scanner/copier/colour printer?

>As a rule of thumb, the first thing to consider is that SANE does not
>support parallell scanners, so always try to get an USB one. (I know
>parallell scanners are dinosaurs now, but in my country they're still
>being offered).

Fortunately, this 2nd computer has USB ports (3) but the older comp doesn't.

>I have here a BenQ  Scan2Web 4300U that costed me US$ 54.00 and works
>very well under Linux though, obviously, it's not exactly high end
>equipment; but it's excellent value. This is a scanner that comes from
>a larger scanner family that is known as SnapScan, and is fully
>supported under SANE. You can get more details at the SnapScan backend
>homepage, at:
>
>http://snapscan.sourceforge.net

I'll check it out too.

>Now, the bad news is that you will have to do some configuration work
>before you can use the equipment.
>
>The big problem with these scanners is that usually the firmware for the
>device has to be loaded in the machine in each boot from the hard disk.
>In Windows, this would be ensured by the installer; but in Linux you
>have to tell the system where to look. You will have to edit the
>file /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf to do this.

Sounds like that Linuxant driver for my dial-up. It took a number of
tried to get it right.

>look on the 'firmware' line. It is uncommented (a line that is begun by
>a hash mark, #, is a comment, ignored by the system).
>
>You have to creat a folder specificaly for the scanner firmware, such
>as /usr/share/sane/firmware/. Then you would have to look into the
>Driver CD of your scanner for the firmware; you'll get a lot of files
>ending in the extension '.bin'. These are firmware files. Copy them all
>to your firmware driver, and then edit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf so
>that the 'firmware' line now points to the first firmware file. After
>that, run the program "xsane" (with ALT+F2 on KDE) and see whether the
>system recognizes the scanner. If it does, great! if it doesn't, then
>replace the firmware file in the 'firmware' line for the second
>firmware file, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, until you hit gold.
>
>I know is a cumbersome process, but you would have to do it only once.
>Once it's done, all your apps, including the Gimp, Kooka and
>OpenOffice.org will be aware of your scanner.
>
>Blessings,
>
>Eduardo

Thanks so much Eduardo, your wise counsel has blessed me a number of
times already!
May the Lord reward you!

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth