[CS-FSLUG] Notebook computers

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Sun May 23 19:04:56 CDT 2004

Hi Nathan,
> Most of what's available here ranges between CAD $1200 - $2000, once
> in a

	Have you checked out Dell? I a few weeks ago they had a laptop going
for $699 USD.

> while they have Mac's and I've noticed the 12" iBook to be the ideal
> size.

	It is a very nice little laptop. Check out Apple's educational
discount if you decide to go that route. They shave a few hundred bucks
off most of their systems (other than, IIRC, the CD-ROM only iBook) if
you buy it that way. Also, you might check their Sale/Clearance section
on Apple.com. They have a 12" PowerBook 1 GHz (new, not refurb) going
for $1299 USD... just about $200 more than a combo-drive iBook --
perhaps out of your budget, but worth contemplating.

	You could also get a iBook G3, which will run you about $699 USD, if
you find a retailer that still has one (such as MacMall). It will be a
lot slower though, since it doesn't have AltiVec. But, it should still
be usable for many things, just not stuff like serious movie editing,
etc. My iMac G3 is only a 400 MHz and does pretty well -- I think the
$699 iBook is a 800 or 900 MHz G3 (however, don't let the MHz's confuse
you, the 800 MHz G4 is faster than the 900 MHz G3).

> I've also got the option of ordering something with Linux preinstalled
> and
> since the iBook seems rather expensive I might do that as I also need
> to set
> some money aside for my post secondary education and future versions
> of SUSE
> Linux.

	Good option as well. Dell makes pretty GNU/Linux friendly notebooks.
Just make sure to research the sound card, power management, etc. first
so you don't find out it doesn't work with GNU/Linux after buying it.
Notebooks are a bit more persnickety than desktops with GNU/Linux.

> I'm looking for input on what would be convenient and affordable (not
> going
> over $1500 CAD) it shouldn't be expensive to maintain and it should be
> able
> to run SUSE Linux (or maybe MacOS X assuming I decide to go with a
> Mac), also
> it absolutely must have a free C++ compiler and a Free copy of Qt
> available
> (that counts out Windows, not sure about MacOS X).
>
> Right now I'm not even sure I'll get a job this summer but I'm
> hopefull.

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |