[CS-FSLUG] Notebook computers

listmail at rotundus.com listmail at rotundus.com
Sun May 23 18:59:33 CDT 2004

Quoting "N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net>:

> Mostly what I'm looking for to begin with is something between medium and low
> end, I'd preffer something small and portable as I'd probably end up carrying
> it around the house. I have no intentions of bringing it outside except when
> going on vacations away from home (I enjoy travelling but it doesn't happen
> often :-) ).

Well, if you don't really intend to be taking the laptop out of the house all
that often I wouldn't really worry too much about "small and portable".  If
you're only going to be carrying it (eg.) from the kitchen to the living room
on a regular basis, then as long as the system is in laptop form you're
probably set.

> Most of what's available here ranges between CAD $1200 - $2000, once in a
> while they have Mac's and I've noticed the 12" iBook to be the ideal size.

I've got a 12" iBook, and it's worked out fairly well, although I do find Mac OS
X somewhat sluggish at times, and I have had a few logic board problems (which
I think have been worked out with the current line).

My laptop does seem to be racking up a fair bit of mileage, so I do like its
small size and low weight, but as mentioned above, if you'll just be carrying
it around the house I wouldn't worry too much about this.

> it absolutely must have a free C++ compiler and a Free copy of Qt available
> (that counts out Windows, not sure about MacOS X).

I think that whatever platform you end up with there will be a free C++ compiler
available.  On the QT issue, I thought that you picked up a copy of that most
recent QT book, which included a noncommercial copy of QT for windows?  (BTW,
if you do have this book, I be interested in a quick review if you've been
through it already).

David