[CS-FSLUG] Notebook computers

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun May 23 17:12:53 CDT 2004

This summer I'm planning on getting a job (already sent a resume to Future
shop) and one of the things I'm considering saving up for is a Notebook
computer.

Mostly what I'm looking for to begin with is something between medium and low
end, I'd preffer something small and portable as I'd probably end up carrying
it around the house. I have no intentions of bringing it outside except when
going on vacations away from home (I enjoy travelling but it doesn't happen
often :-) ).

Most of what's available here ranges between CAD $1200 - $2000, once in a
while they have Mac's and I've noticed the 12" iBook to be the ideal size.
I've also got the option of ordering something with Linux preinstalled and
since the iBook seems rather expensive I might do that as I also need to set
some money aside for my post secondary education and future versions of SUSE
Linux.

I'm looking for input on what would be convenient and affordable (not going
over $1500 CAD) it shouldn't be expensive to maintain and it should be able
to run SUSE Linux (or maybe MacOS X assuming I decide to go with a Mac), also
it absolutely must have a free C++ compiler and a Free copy of Qt available
(that counts out Windows, not sure about MacOS X).

Right now I'm not even sure I'll get a job this summer but I'm hopefull.