[CS-FSLUG] OfB.biz: Why GNOME's Got it Right

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Fri Jul 30 14:13:10 CDT 2004

Last week, some developers disagreeing with the direction of the GNOME
Project decided to create what appears to be the beginning of a fork of
the project -- GoneME. Like many from KDE Project and elsewhere in the
community, GoneME's major complaints boil down to what has proven to be
GNOME's most controversial move: simplifying the user interface. While
naysayers, including the GoneME developers, seem to feel that the
simplification of the interface, undertaken with the encouragement of
such GNOME leaders as Havoc Pennington of Red Hat, is actually just
"dumbing down" the interface, I think these critics are actually
missing the point completely. Read the rest of my commentary to find
out why I think GNOME's got it right.

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=318

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)