[CS-FSLUG] Disk partitioning, difference between logical and primary partitions?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Jul 25 13:37:40 CDT 2004

I don't have the really technical information right at my fingertips, but
here is the quick difference.

The initial partition information could hold information for 4 partitions
(the primary partitions).  If you wish to extend the number of partitions,
you create one large partition, which you can divide up into logical
partitions.  (I believe you can have 18 or so logical partitions?  I am not
sure, but it is a lot.)

So:

|part1 | part 2 | part 3| extended part              |
                         | part 5  | part 6 | part7   |

Partitions 1-4 are slots for primary partitions.  If you need to have more
than 4 partitions, you MUST have an extended partition and logical
partitions.  A number of operating systems hide the "extended" partition
from you, making it automatically for you.  So you often just see the
primary and logical partitions.

	- Tim