[CS-FSLUG] Why I've NEVER LIKED nor will use Asus!!

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 23 17:31:45 CDT 2004

On July 23, 2004 05:32 am, Brian Derr wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:20:04PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
> > If something were high quality simply because of where it came from then
> > explain MS Windows ;-) .
>
> Well, I was refering to our prowess at manufacturing.  We used to be a
> world leader in manufacturing.  Now we import everything from just about
> everywhere.  Software manufacturing, unfortunately, is just a "get rich
> quick" scheme here in America I think.  Why else is most of the
> proprietary software developed here so junky and prone to bugs?  Because
> they don't care about the customer and just want their dollars.

One of the reasons why open source software is good is because it cannot be
forcefully outsourced to India ;-) .

I have an interesting question though, if money is going overseas to pay the
workers making so called Canadian and American products then eventually there
would be little work and much fewer consumers (with money) in Canada and the
US in which case the economy would be bad off. So what is keeping  the
unemployment rate from jumping and the economy from dropping.

> > BTW. For those Windows defenders among us I don't really hate the
> > product, just the fud that Microsoft spews out about Linux when some
> > distributions are far better then any proprietary OS I've ever tried. To
> > be honest I also dislike how Windows tends to spontaneously stop working
> > but maybe that only happens to some people.
>
> Yes, sometimes when I boot into Windows to play games it'll
> spontaneously hard reboot.  No idea what is causing; _very_ aggrevating.
>
> Brian

In Windows XP on my computer the panel crashes a lot (looks very similar to an
explorer crash in Windows 98) and my display often messes up so I have to try
to reboot the computer using keyboard hotkeys without the display (which has
a very low success rate sometimes). I suspect there is a memory leak in
Windows XP or one of the applications since I get a lot of program crashes
where the computer complains about not being able to write to some address in
the memory, normally I would suspect my ram but I know its good because I ran
memtest86 overnight once and that ran through the ram over 70 times without
turning up a single problem.