[CS-FSLUG] TH The kingdom of Heaven

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Tue Jul 20 08:42:04 CDT 2004

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> How do the 'birds of the air' and the 'yeast' fit into the picture? How
> can evil and sin be a part of the Kingdom of God if it is an eternal
> state within us? This is a tricky passage and I really want to be able
> to understand it.

I forgot the punchline: These parables are about the appearance of The
Eternal Kingdom in a fallen world.

If you want to see birds and yeast as the presence of sin in some way,
consider the parable of the tares and wheat. The Kingdom is eternal;
it's appearance for this time will include an openness that permits
sinners to be in the congregations. To uproot them now would harm the
true believers, because removal in that sense cannot be surgical. How
about the woman whose lost husband comes to church with her? A judgment
on his sin at this moment may be premature. Perhaps he will turn to
Christ before He returns and ends this world.

--
Ed Hurst