[CS-FSLUG] TH The kingdom of Heaven

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Tue Jul 20 08:09:01 CDT 2004

Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>>What are your thoughts on this? Is the Kingdom of Heaven roughly
>>>equivalent to the Church age or is it always the same as in 'God in
>>>eternity'? If it is the Church age then I can see that Christendom
>>>contains 'the birds of the air' ie. Christian cults and also
>>>contains much sin, even spread throughout all the different
>>>denominations.
>>
>>Being no Dispensationalist, I still can accept the term "Church Age"
>>if we mean generally that period of time between Pentecost and His
>>Return. Thus, "Kingdom of Heaven" in this context is that period of
>>time when Jesus lives in our hearts prior to seeing Him face to face.
>
> How do the 'birds of the air' and the 'yeast' fit into the picture? How
> can evil and sin be a part of the Kingdom of God if it is an eternal
> state within us? This is a tricky passage and I really want to be able
> to understand it.

"Birds of the air" nesting in the branches of the Church is for me
nothing more than an image of refuge. Forget whether the birds are
sinners or saints; it's about the Kingdom growing from next to nothing.
Wherever the gospel is planted, it *will* grow and become a substantial
presence. What grows from it will inevitably be a thing of beauty, and a
place of refuge for those in need.

Yeast changes the nature of the flour in which it grows. In this case,
yeast is not a symbol of sin, but a change agent. Just a tiny bit of it
(again) will affect the whole of where it is placed. The change will be
dramatic.

--
Ed Hurst