[CS-FSLUG] In a position to safely try different distributions

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 16 17:01:49 CDT 2004

I've found that I was a little over optimistic about Yoper v2, there are still bugs in the configuration software and I am unable to change my X server settings because they keep getting reset back to the way they were before, however since it seems to work alright for the moment and it only occupies one partition (no choice durring the installation) I'm going to use one of the bootable CD's I have to resize the partition Yoper is occupying so I can install a second Linux distribution.

I must confess I was trying Debian based distributions before I installed Yoper, usually I don't like Debian based distributions but from my point of view I'm out of options, as far as distributions go I've tried every single one I'd consider worth trying.

I've tried Mepis, Knoppix, Libranet and Debian "sarge". The only one I found supported my hardware and survived beyond the initial installation and apt update was Mepis but I killed it accidentally when I forced it to update from KDE 3.1 to 3.2 despite that being one of the packages it wanted to hold back, I tried getting a newer version of Mepis but I found the CD wouldn't boot properly, it could be a coaster but I'd rather not waste another CD veryfying that since Windows XP won't give me proper MD5 sums.

Right now I've got two types of distributions I'm considering, one is Slackware and the derivative College Linux, the other is Debian and just about any one of its derivatives. I feel I've eliminated any possible RPM based distribution by trying Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora Core (1 and 2), Ares, PCLinuxOS and Conectiva along with many others I can't even remember the names of.

I'm going look further into College to see how its different from Slackware and hopefully I'll know more about what I want to do then, in the mean time however I'm open to suggestions.