[CS-FSLUG] Federal Marriage Amendment Struck Down for Today

Ralph De Witt ralphdewitt at charter.net
Wed Jul 14 19:39:45 CDT 2004

- From the oppisite side:

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 06:41 pm, Fred Miller wrote:
> [...]
> that we are monitoring and holding them accountable for their
> actions in the Senate.
>
> This is how your senators voted today:
>
>           Senator Clinton: Nay
>
>           Senator Schumer: Nay
>
> Here is the contact information for your senators:
>
>          Senator Clinton: (202) 224-4451
>
>          Senator Schumer: (202) 224-6542
>

> If at all possible, please call today or tomorrow!
>
> Don't be discouraged if you can't get through to Washington.
> That just means that thousands of your fellow New York
> residents are joining you in voicing their opinions on this
> vote. Try calling your senators’ district offices, instead.
> These messages, too, are communicated regularly with your senators.
>
>           Senator Clinton: 212-688-6262  New York
>
>           Senator Schumer: 212-486-4430  New York
>
> While you're at it, consider placing a call to Senate Majority
> Leader Bill Frist, thanking him for having the courage to bring
> this issue to a vote and get his fellow senators on record for
> -- or against -- marriage.
>
>           Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist: (202) 224-3344
>
> Again, regardless of this vote, I urge you not to lose heart.
> Instead, be encouraged, and know that if we remain vigilant
> throughout the entire battle, we will see victory.
>
> God bless you!
>
> Dr. Gary Cass
> CENTER FOR RECLAIMING AMERICA
>
> P.S. Here at the Center, our goal is to reach ONE MILLION petitions
> by the time the House votes on the Federal Marriage Amendment. Right
> now we have 400,248. I'm counting on my grassroots friends
> to help us make up that difference over these next few weeks!
> Just think . . . if each E-Army member who has already signed
> the petition encourages just one friend or family member to do
> the same, total signers will reach more than 800,000!
>
> Please continue to stand for marriage by explaining to your
> friends, family, and church leaders that the marriage battle
> is not over, and it’s vital that they sign our petition.
>
> + +
> To sign our marriage petition, click here:
>
> http://www.cfra.info/31/petition.asp?RID=1864622
>
> + +
> To see pictures of our successful "Support Marriage" petition
> delivery to Washington, click here:
>
> http://www.reclaimamerica.org/Pages/News/newspage.asp?story=1897
>
> + +
> For the latest news and information on the federal marriage
> amendment, click here:
>
>  http://www.reclaimamerica.org/
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> The CENTER FOR RECLAIMING AMERICA, established by
> Dr. D. James Kennedy, is an outreach of Coral Ridge Ministries to
> inform the American public and motivate Christians to defend and
> implement the biblical principles on which our country was
> founded. The CENTER provides non-partisan, non-denominational
> information, training, and support to all those interested in
> impacting the culture and renewing the vision set forth by our

"They presented their amendment as a high-minded attempt to protect
"traditional" marriage, when in reality it was a cynical attempt to
influence future elections and win power. To use the U.S. Constitution
in a naked attempt to manipulate the election process is a sad reminder
of the hostility and political oppression still faced by LGBT people.
                                                      -- The Reverend Dr.
Troy D. Perry

July 14, 2004

Today, ... people won another victory as the United States Senate dealt a
stinging rebuke to President Bush's attempt to place anti-gay discrimination
in the U.S. Constitution.

A coalition of Democrats and Republicans in the Senate effectively defeated
the Bush proposal, with sponsors unable to muster even a majority vote. The
procedural vote was 48-50.

We salute the senators who stood firm against bigotry and for justice -- and
salute the hundreds of thousands of .... people, along with our enlightened
allies, who made their voices heard by contacting their elected officials.

Sadly, today's vote only marks Phase One of a crude political strategy by
right-wing extremists. This vote reveals another strategy by those who
oppose the expansion of liberty and justice. The next predictable step will
be a withering attack upon those senators who voted with us. Look for their
votes to be twisted and misrepresented in an effort to unseat them in future
elections.

Even more disturbing is the claim by some regressive political leaders that
they knew all along they would lose this vote -- but their strategy was to
put senators on the record in order to use this vote as a wedge issue in
upcoming elections. They presented their amendment as a high-minded attempt
to protect "traditional" marriage, when in reality it was a cynical attempt
to influence future elections and win power. To use the amendment process
for the U.S. Constitution in a naked attempt to manipulate the election
process is a sad reminder of the hostility and political oppression still
faced by LGBT people.

Today, we celebrate another victory in history's march toward liberty, and
renew our commitment to work for justice and equality under the laws,
including the marriage laws.

/signed/
The Reverend Dr. Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator, Metropolitan Community Churches

"I am here today to say that not all people of faith believe we
should amend the Constitution to deny people equal rights under the
law," said the Rt. Rev. Jane Holmes Dixon, retired Bishop of
Washington pro-tempore, at a news conference outside the Capitol
following the vote. "As a Christian, my faith calls me to respect the
dignity of every human being and to strive for justice and to tear
down the walls that separate us."

"In the history of our nation, this great Constitution to form a more
perfect union and establish justice has been amended to include those
not originally included, never to exclude," Dixon added. "And the
Federal Marriage Amendment debated in the Senate today [would] do
just that. It excludes and denies American citizens equal protection
under the law."

In a statement released by Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold in
February, he expressed similar concerns about a Constitutional
amendment.

"The Episcopal Church is on record as being committed to continuing
discussion and discernment around these questions [of sexuality],
about which we do not have a common mind, and to equal protection
under the law and full civil rights for homosexual persons," the
statement said. "I am concerned about the advisability of a
Constitutional amendment being put forth for discussion at this time.
Questions of sexuality are far from settled, and a Constitutional
amendment which was perceived as settling this matter might make it
more difficult to engage in civil discourse around this topic."

The 1976 General Convention of the Episcopal Church established the
policy of the Church that "Homosexual persons are entitled to equal
protection of the laws with all other citizens." That policy was
reaffirmed in 1994.

"[Our effort] springs from a deep commitment to a biblical
understanding of justice, a commitment to fairness," said Daniel
Pryfogle, interim director of the Association of Welcoming and
Affirming Baptists, which supports gay and lesbian rights. "We want
everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, to enjoy the same
rights in this country," Pryfogle told ABP.

"There's relief at this stage that the bill will not go forward,"
Pryfogle said, "but at the same time we know a lot of organizing is
going on to push this kind of legislation. We aim to do what we can
to oppose these efforts. ... One of the most important things
underway is proclamation -- churches preaching a message about
fairness and justice."

Laura Montgomery Rutt, director of communications for Soulforce, an
interfaith pro-gay group, complained supporters of the Federal
Marriage Amendment are using gays and lesbians as "political pawns"
in an election-year strategy. "To have this come up just before the
elections shows that the religious-political conservatives are
playing politics with people's lives. ... This is simply wrong."
- --
	Yours,
	Ralph.
It said Use Windows XP or better, so I installed PCLinuxOS NV-P7a
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234
AIM & Yahoo ralphfdewitt Jabber ralphdewitt
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = DE4D 6225 A558 A2B9 8DEC 7E94 BB6F 435C 0DE2 085D 03E7
Kernel version 2.4.22-32tex
Current Linux uptime: 9 days 13 hours 20 minutes.