[CS-FSLUG] Federal Marriage Amendment Struck Down for Today

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Jul 14 21:31:17 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:41:34PM -0400, Fred Miller wrote:
> Even though the U.S. Senate has voted down the Federal Marriage
> Amendment, this is not a defeat, but rather a victory--a great
> victory!

This seems to be a victory to me too, but not because the people involved are
going to continue trying to get a Marriage Amendment passed, but simply because
this one was struck down.  The government has no business dictating the terms
for a sacremant.  It is seeming to me that things would be better if the
government supported civil unions, for both heterosexuals and homosexuals, and
marriage was strictly an ecclesiatical affair.  If this amendment goes through,
there doesn't seem to be anything stopping them from down the line creating an
amendment defining marriage as between one Buddhist man and one Buddhist
woman.  Or one white woman and one white man.  Or one man with an IQ of 110 or
higher and one woman of an IQ of 110 or higher.  Ultimately, this seems to me a
situation of the government seeking to grant itself a power that it ought not
have.

Aaron Lehmann

--
Sometimes you stay the course;