[CS-FSLUG] Have I finally found a distro?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Tue Jul 13 21:52:50 CDT 2004

I've been looking for a long time to find a distribution I liked, these last few days I got so frustrated with my options that I dared to try debian based distributions which normally I would consider to primitive or user unfriendly to be worth my time. These last few days I've quietly tried Mepis, Knoppix, Libranet and even Debian "sarge" itself. As far as I'm concerned those were the last few legitamate ditributions that were worth trying, the others were too young to be of any good to anyone but seasoned linux veterans.

Then distrowatch had the announcement for Yoper V2, I thought it was already released a long time ago so I didn't even think to consider it, it was probably about the time I got to the post install and found out that it not only had the NVidia drivers but also SaX2 for X11 configuration. I also found out that it had RPM, Apt-get and Synaptic after the installation, the apt repositories for it are rather bare but it should be loosely compatible with other distributions RPMs. I was skeptical about keeping it at first until I tried to compile software from source, my first attempt was Boson which had a dependency I couldn't get through apt, so I downloaded that and compiled it from source without any trouble, then I got boson to compile without a hitch and the KDE menu entry was added without any intervention on my part.

I'm going to stick with Yoper V2 for a while, even if it is missing OpenOffice.org I preffer to install that manually, after a few days I should know whether Yoper v2 will be what I'm looking for in a Linux distribution.