[CS-FSLUG] An apolitical reasoned argument.

Chris Young rockhopper at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 12 20:21:13 CDT 2004

Sounds way over the top to me -- and from a seemingly anonymous source,
it doesn't carry much weight.  To illustrate, I'll pick out a few things
that sounded the wackiest to me.  (By the way -- it's not "apolitical"
- -- he's arguing for allowing civil rights to be given up, which is by
its very nature a political issue.  Maybe it's "non-partisan" ie. not
Democratic or Republican, but that's not really the same as apolitical.)

| · They will pick off the other non Muslim nations, one at a time.  It
| will be increasingly easier for them.  They already hold Spain
hostage.  It
| doesn't matter whether it was right or wrong for Spain to withdraw its
| troops from Iraq.  Spain did it because the Muslim terrorists bombed
| their train and told them to withdraw the troops.  Anything else they want
| Spain to do, will be done.  Spain is finished.
|
| · The next will probably be France.  Our one hope on France is that they
| might see the light and realize that if we don't win, they are finished
| too, in that they can't resist the Muslim terrorists without us.
However, it
| may already be too late for France.  France is already 20% Muslim and
fading
| fast.  See the attached article on the French condition by Tom Segel. [6]

This is just speculation.  I don't think Spain has suddenly ceased to be
a sovereign nation, and I'll agree that France is controlled by Muslims
only when I see that come to pass.  Seems like fear-mongering to me...
(Beware! We're next! etc.)

| · If we lose the war, our production, income, exports and way of life
| will all vanish as we know it.  After losing, who would trade or deal
with us
| if they were threatened by the Muslims.  If we can't stop the Muslims, how
| could anyone else?  The Muslims fully know what is riding on this war and
| therefore are completely committed to winning at any cost.  We better
| know it too and be likewise committed to winning at any cost.

Also pure speculation.  We should be committed to "winning at any cost?"
~ Hardly... if we give up all our civil rights, they may not disappear
temporarily, but for an extended (ie. generations) period of time.  This
is no time to act rashly (eg. the so-called "PATRIOT Act that no one but
the USDOJ actually read until after it was passed).  And last time I
checked, there is no officially declared war against the Muslims.  There
might be a culture war of some sort, but this is not the sort of thing
we can "win" by giving up civil rights and bombing the crap out of a
country or two.  As a Christian, I think we should look to the Lord in
every situation, including this one, for guidance.  "Winning at any
cost" is not likely to be His will, especially if we forget about Him as
we're doing it.

| This is war.  For
| the duration we are going to have to give up some of the civil rights
we have
| become accustomed to.  We had better be prepared to lose some of our
| civil rights temporarily or we will most certainly lose all of them
| permanently.

See above.  This is ridiculous.  For one thing, this is not a
conventional war, if it's a war at all.  I for one believe that this
problem (Muslim extremist terrorism) may continue for decades, if not
centuries.  There's no way I'm giving up our rights for such a long
period of time -- but then again, I don't see the need to give them up
at all.  Why should we?  Give us some reasons, not just fear,
uncertainty, and doubt.  The government already has plenty of methods to
catch and punish criminals... they are just often bumbling and
inefficient.  Why don't we just demand they they do a better job with
what they've got?

| And don't worry that it is a slippery slope.  We gave up plenty of civil
| rights during WWII and immediately restored them after the victory and in
| fact added many more since then.  Do I blame President Bush or President
| Clinton before him?  No, I blame us for blithely assuming we can maintain
| all of our Political Correctness and all of our civil rights during this
| conflict and have a clean, lawful, honorable war.  None of those words
| apply to war.  Get them out of your head.

I agree that "clean" "lawful" and "honorable" often don't apply to war,
but this has nothing to do with why we should lay down our
Constitutional protections.  If we continue to do that, I'm afraid that
our own government will be more of a danger to us than the scary
terrorists.  But never fear, he says, "...don't worry."  Just trust him.
~ Why?

|   If we don't win this war right now, keep a close eye on how the Muslims
| take over France in the next 5 years or less.

Ok... I will.  If that happens, then come back and I might listen to you.

|   Democracies don't have their freedoms taken away from them by some
| external military force.  Instead, they give their freedoms away,
| politically correct piece by politically correct piece.  And they are
| giving those freedoms away to those who have shown, worldwide, that
they abhor
| freedom and will not apply it to you or even to themselves, once they are
| in power.

No, actually the only entity that we can give our freedoms away to is
our own government.  All the freedoms we have were designed to protect
us from the power of the state and the abuse of that power by men.  The
Muslims may be able to kill us, and may try to change our culture, but
unless they completely overthrow the government, they *can't* take our
freedoms away.  Until that happens (which I don't see being any time
soon, if ever) only our own government can take our freedoms away from
us.  So in one paragraph he asks us to not hold on to our civil rights,
and in another he seems to imply that it's bad to "give [our] freedoms
away... piece by... piece"?  This is inconsistent at best.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not out to boost either political party.  I'm
independent, and I think that both of the major presidential candidates
are knuckle-heads in their own special way.  But whatever party or
person wins the election, we are all sure to lose if we continue to
stand idly by while bad laws are written that erase our vital
constitutional rights and protections.  I just hope that anyone who
reads this "letter" will think about it critically and reject the
fear-mongering and unjustified demands to give up our civil rights.

Chris Young