[CS-FSLUG] Printing with Firefox

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Fri Jul 9 06:40:52 CDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 07:52, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I'm having a slight problem with printing using non KDE apps.
> I am running Libranet 2.8 (Debian based distro) recently upgraded and
> have an HP Deskjet 640c.
> I added the printer after the system had been up and running for about a
> year and did have some problems getting the system to recognize the
> printer. The printer is also available to the rest of our small LAN and
> the other computers don't have any problems printing to it (except a
> localized version of OOo which is installed in /opt).
> I'm using the Cups printing server.
>
> At the moment I would like to be able to print using Firefox (on the
> local machine) but I can't get Firefox to *see* the printer -- all I get
> in the available options are:
> 'lp@:64' -- the default, the other options in the
> drop-down box are: xp_ps_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64 and
> xp_pdf_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64
>
> I did try the default 'lp@:64' but it just printed:
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> 			   %%Creator: The X Print Server's PostScript DDX
> (xprint.mozdev.org,
>
> and then about 70-80 blank pages!
>
> How do I get it to recognize my HP Deskjet 640c?
> I have already tried 'apt-get remove --purge mozilla-firefox'
> 'apt-get install --purge mozilla-firefox'
> and:
> 'apt-get remove --purge xprt-xprintorg'
> 'apt-get install --purge xprt-xprintorg'
> then restarted X but it is still not able to print properly.
> Firefox on the other computers *sees* and prints to the 'Deskjet640c'
> OK.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I have HP Laserjet4L "locally" for my machine. Printer dialog shows only
"Postcript/default" and from properties I find this as a print command:
lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

(Suse took care of installation, so I do not understand much more of it - I
hope someone else can help you more than this)

Blessings,
Jukka