[CS-FSLUG] Printing with Firefox

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Thu Jul 8 23:52:52 CDT 2004

I'm having a slight problem with printing using non KDE apps.
I am running Libranet 2.8 (Debian based distro) recently upgraded and
have an HP Deskjet 640c.
I added the printer after the system had been up and running for about a
year and did have some problems getting the system to recognize the
printer. The printer is also available to the rest of our small LAN and
the other computers don't have any problems printing to it (except a
localized version of OOo which is installed in /opt).
I'm using the Cups printing server.

At the moment I would like to be able to print using Firefox (on the
local machine) but I can't get Firefox to *see* the printer -- all I get
in the available options are:
'lp@:64' -- the default, the other options in the
drop-down box are: xp_ps_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64 and
xp_pdf_spooldir_tmp_Xprintjobs@:64

I did try the default 'lp@:64' but it just printed:
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
			   %%Creator: The X Print Server's PostScript DDX
(xprint.mozdev.org,

and then about 70-80 blank pages!

How do I get it to recognize my HP Deskjet 640c?
I have already tried 'apt-get remove --purge mozilla-firefox'
'apt-get install --purge mozilla-firefox'
and:
'apt-get remove --purge xprt-xprintorg'
'apt-get install --purge xprt-xprintorg'
then restarted X but it is still not able to print properly.
Firefox on the other computers *sees* and prints to the 'Deskjet640c'
OK.

Any ideas?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com