[CS-FSLUG] BSD for linux users

Ed Hurst softedges at tconline.net
Wed Jul 7 08:45:14 CDT 2004

Jukka Y wrote:
> Now that I am back at home, I started again my adventures in BSD-land. I
> prepared a installation media (cdrom) for FreeBSD, tried it once, but after
> realizing the process has differences compared to linux, I decided to learn
> more before actually diving into it (I try to preserve my win98/linux
> installation, backups etc. which are alredy in a same machine).

That's what led me to write my tutorials. It's really different, and
assumes a very high level of technical expertise. Once inside, it's not
so bad. Getting inside is the tough part.

> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

Read that some time ago; yes, it's a good one.

> -Does FreeBSD installation recognize other installations in my harddrives and
> does it offer a dual- (or triple-) boot options for them?

I believe it does, in that it allows you to exempt existing partitions
from consideration. OTOH, they do not have a default boot manager that
works like LILO or Grub as Linux does. I strongly advise you select the
floppy boot option, by putting the Unix booter on a floppy.

--
Ed Hurst