[CS-FSLUG] QOTW #8: Canon Questions

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:28:50 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 10:11, Ed Hurst wrote:
> On Thursday 01 July 2004 01:01, Timothy Butler wrote:
> > What's your canon in the canon? (That is, if you could only pick one
> > part of the Bible and make it "yours," what book or section of books
> > would it be?)
>
> Mine is the crank answer. I've studied this in too much detail to make a
> personal answer. I am "owned" by the scholarship behind the decisions
> on what the canon is. Like Tim, I love Paul's works, but the Gospels
> hold me strongest. Still, I cannot bring myself to suggest using the
> term "canon" in a personal application. While I won't argue or debate,
> I bristle at the idea our current canon could be re-examined.
>
> The curmudgeon has spoken. :-)

hehe, I had a bit of a similar response. :-) I suppose it's related to
the association of the word to its meaning. The Canon is, to me,
God-ordained and not to be messed with, thus using the term in a lighter
sense tends to lighten its authority. Maybe that's the legalist in me
coming through, but...

JSR/