[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Tue Aug 31 11:53:59 CDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:11:04 -0500
Aaron Patrick Lehmann <lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:38:24PM -0500, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 29, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
> >
> > >Hmmm.  I'm a Christian who uses (and will program, eventuall) OSS,
> > >but I've got
> > >me a strong dislike of RMS and his viral GPL liscence.  Do we have
> > >a cool
> >

> > /me puts on flameproof suit.
> >
> > <flamebait>The license isn't viral. It only asks you do unto others
> > what you have them doing unto you. Use the code, release the code.
> > :-)</flamebait>
>
> Thus is my point.  I have no trouble with someone taking my code and
> making a derivative closed-source version.  I fail to see the
> "freedom" in a liscense that takes away choices from developers.
>
> This is why I will not realease under GPL, if I can possibly avoid it,
> and will not recommend anyone else do so either.
>
> Aaron Lehmann
> --
> Sometimes you stay the course;
> Sometimes the course stays you.

Aaron -- if you so dislike the GPL and I assume you are a man of
principles, why do you use GPL'd software? You would appear to be
somewhat of a hypocrite -- no?

Just a thought........

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com