[CS-FSLUG] GNU believers

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Tue Aug 31 11:11:04 CDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:38:24PM -0500, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
>
> >Hmmm.  I'm a Christian who uses (and will program, eventuall) OSS, but
> >I've got
> >me a strong dislike of RMS and his viral GPL liscence.  Do we have a
> >cool
>

> /me puts on flameproof suit.
>
> <flamebait>The license isn't viral. It only asks you do unto others
> what you have them doing unto you. Use the code, release the code.
> :-)</flamebait>

Thus is my point.  I have no trouble with someone taking my code and making a
derivative closed-source version.  I fail to see the "freedom" in a liscense
that takes away choices from developers.

This is why I will not realease under GPL, if I can possibly avoid it, and will
not recommend anyone else do so either.

Aaron Lehmann
--
Sometimes you stay the course;