[CS-FSLUG] Help Me Keep Outlook Out (of My Church's Office)

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 16 18:33:22 CDT 2004

My church's office currently has two users using Outlook, two using
Outlook Express and two using Thunderbird. Our new office administrator
wants to replace the Outlook Express and Thunderbird installs with more
copies of Outlook... and, I think, get a server to run Exchange on.
This, obviously, is the opposite direction I was hoping we'd move it --
it just means more security issues, and probably more broken systems
for me to repair.

  So, I need your help, ASAP. Does anyone know of a good groupware
solution that will provide functionality comparable to Outlook with
Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Calendar? Or barring a Mozilla
solution, some other Outlook alternative for Windows. What I mean is
that we need shared calendars, shared address books, etc. The server
can run GNU/Linux or something else, but the clients must be Windows.
It must be as easy to use (or nearly as easy) as Outlook.

  Is there such a solution? I don't think OpenGroupware or Kolab work
with Mozilla to provide what needs to be provided, but correct me if
I'm wrong. I can't imagine having to deal with a Microsoft server and a
bunch of easily broken into Windows XP systems at church -- that would
be a mess!

  Help!

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |
Presently on "Albert" (DP PPC 970 "G5" running at 2.0 GHz)